Mental Health First Aid for Schools
Canine Assisted Learning offer Mental Health First Aid (MHFA) training to schools to prioritise and support the wellbeing of your staff.
What is Mental Health First Aid Training?
Staff will gain:
- An understanding of what mental health is and how to challenge stigma
- Practical skills to spot signs, symptoms and triggers of mental health issues
- Confidence to offer support to colleagues in distress or who may be experiencing a mental health issue
- Knowledge of key support agencies and the appropriate time to signpost colleagues to these
- An understanding of the MHFA Action Plan and also how to ensure their own wellbeing whilst fulfilling their role
- The skills and information needed to build a mentally healthy workplace which will help staff to thrive and remain in work
So why Mental First Aid?
“Teaching is a tough job. It can be immensely rewarding but also physically and emotionally draining. Safeguarding and mental health issues can be intense and complex. Children’s behavioural and emotional problems are increasing. Many schools recognise this and provide support for their staff. The new focus on children’s mental health, though, serves as an important reminder to us that we must couple support for school staff with the ambitions we have for children’s wellbeing. If we don’t, we will be letting down all school staff.
If we want our school staff to do what’s asked of them, then we need to make sure that their mental health and wellbeing is effectively supported”.
Professor Peter Fonagy CEO of the Anna Freud National Centre for Children and Families
The course options are below:
- Level 1 Award in Awareness of First Aid for Mental Health – 4 hours
- Level 2 Award in First Aid for Mental Health – 6 hours
- Level 3 Award in Supervising First Aid for Mental Health – 12 hours
The course is aimed at schools who wish to enhance their employee Wellbeing Action Plan (WAP) and to encourage schools to have a qualified Mental Health First Aider alongside their provision for practical first aid. If you would like to run any of the above courses please contact us.